Today, I took a look at the semantics of using a 4T8 proc at the "wrong" time. My initial gut feeling was that it would be worthwhile to use a 4T8 proc under the effects of Solar Eclipse but would result in a decrease if used in a precasting phase of a Lunar rotation and caused the wrong Eclipse to proc. Let's start with the simpler case, the Solar Eclipse proc.
Solar Eclipse
Even though the Starfire from 4T8 is instant, it still evokes a GCD. Since Wrath has a cast time equal to the GCD, I am going to say that for all practical intents and purposes the 4Tb proc and Wrath have the same cast time. I am also assuming that the Idol of Steadfast Renewal is equipped.
Because we have 4T8, we naturally have 2T8 (durrrr statement, I know, but I forgot it in my initial calculations). We expect to see a 45% increase to damage for all Wrath cast under the effects of Eclipse. Since Wrath and the 4T8 proc have the same cast time, we need only show that the average Starfire is greater than or equal to the average Eclipsed Wrath. If that is true, then it would always be a benefit to consume the 4T8 proc during a Solar rotation. So here's a graph of damage calculations at varying levels of Spell Power from 2000 to 4000.
As we can see, the graph shows that Starfire gains an even bigger advantage over Wrath as we gain Spell Power. Thus, it is my recommendation to always use a 4T8 proc during a Solar Eclipse, regardless of time remaining.
Lunar Precasting Phase
In the precasting phase, we are casting Wrath. I will assume that the Idol of the Shooting Star is equipped. I will also be using a druid equipped in Graylo's choices for BiS as he calculated his BiS for a Lunar rotation as I did mine for a Solar rotation.
We only experience a problem when Starfire crits and procs a Solar Eclipse, changing our rotation from the desired Lunar Eclipse. I will be comparing the difference of a crit Starfire vs average Wrath to the DPS gain/loss of proccing the incorrect Eclipse.
Average Wrath: 4832.183
Average Crit Starfire: 12030.23
Damage During Lunar Eclipse phase: 75884.2460
Damage During Solar Eclipse phase: 75382.0508
4T8 Damage gain: 12030.23 - 4832.183 = 7198.047
Eclipse Damage gain: 75382.0508 - 75884.2460 = -502.1925
Net Damage gain through 4T8: 7198.047 + -502.1925 = 6695.8518
Average Crit Starfire: 12030.23
Damage During Lunar Eclipse phase: 75884.2460
Damage During Solar Eclipse phase: 75382.0508
4T8 Damage gain: 12030.23 - 4832.183 = 7198.047
Eclipse Damage gain: 75382.0508 - 75884.2460 = -502.1925
Net Damage gain through 4T8: 7198.047 + -502.1925 = 6695.8518
Surprisingly, I did not notice a very large difference between the Solar Eclipse with the wrong idol and the Lunar Eclipse with the correct idol. I was initially bothered by this until I recalled that all of this was in a perfect Spell Queuing environment and the value of the Solar Eclipse would decrease with every Wrath cast that did not queue properly. So theoretically, my advice as per the numbers is to use the 4T8 proc whenever you can.
TL:DR
The short version of my work here was that no matter when you receive a 4T8 proc, it is appears advantageous to use it.
I wanted to push these results out first because I have the suspicion that my next bit of work might take some time to complete. I want to look into the effects of the spell queuing system and adjust the worth of the Solar Eclipse based on both latency and player reaction time.
Please do not walk away from this post saying that you should always cast 4T8 whenever it procs. This is only true for a perfect environment with zero latency and a 0ms reaction time.
3 comments:
I came up with the exact same conclusion you did regarding a proc during Solar Eclipse. An instant SF does a lot more damage then a buffed Wrath so it was a no brainer.
On the flip side, I haven't done any math regarding a 4T8 Proc during the precasting phase of my eclipse rotation. However, here are my concerns as I talk out of my butt.
Using the proc during precasting:
Obviously this is the big concern everyone recognizes. If it procs the wrong eclipse then your using a suboptimal rotation and more importantly it throws of your rhythem. Both causing your DPS to go down.
Not using the proc during precasting:
My model assumes that you don't use the proc during precasting but I see two problems with this.
1. The first risk is that your precasting phase goes more then 10 seconds and you don't use the proc. On average you should proc eclipese with in 4 or 5 seconds so this shouldn't be a huge issue, but we all know it will happen.
2. The second risk is you can't store multiple procs. If it procs back to back during your precasting phase then the first proc will be wasted. This is very unlikely but possible.
My guess is that it doesn't really matter much. Both sides have their own risks. I think the easiest thing to do is not care about the proc at all. This way almost all of the procs should be used normally, but you don't have to watch for the proc, and god knows I don't need to be watching for another proc.
I think that's what I'm leaning towards for a Lunar cycle as well. There seems to be little benefit in an ideal world and we all know, WoW is far from ideal.
I think the next path I'm going to be walking will be to look at the impact of latency and reaction time on a 1 second or less Wrath cast so that I can update all of these results with more applicable data.
I very much agree with the concept of essentially ignoring the proc. If it happens, let it be consumed naturally. The only exception I see to this is if it procs during the Eclipse cooldown -- then use it immediately.
Post a Comment