Monday, May 18, 2009

The Moonkin Rotation - Part 2: Lunar

I will be using all of the assumptions from the first post and all of the same calculations save one: The Idol of the Shooting Star will be equipped. As a result, I will be truncating my math for this post. If you're absolutely dying to see what I did, I can send you my spreadsheet where I calculated all of this out.

Precasting


Damage: 22677.2248 damage
Time: 4.8783 seconds

Eclipse


Damage: 66562.3577
Time: 13.1983

Cooldown


Damage: 64910.5746
Time: 14.8119

DoTs


Same rules apply here. I assumed that the DoTs were cast immediately before the Precasting phase and at the conclusion of the Eclipse phase. I included the post-Eclipse DoT damage in the Cooldown portion, as that is where the time spent to cast them was alloted. Here is the damage for the DoT's cast before the Precasting phase.

Damage: 14081.3564
Time: 2.1160

Totals

Damage: 168231.5135
Time: 35.00456
DPS: 4806.0034
Eclipse Uptime: 37.70%

TL:DR


Seriously, you didn't read that? It was so tiny in comparison. . . *sigh*. On to the results: The DPS of the Lunar rotation was 4806 DPS. I went ahead and broke down the percentage of damages. Remember we're playing the averages game here, so nothing is precise and if this isn't what your damage looks like (and you have these stats) it's ok.
IS contribution: 9.44%
MF contribution: 7.30%
Wrath contribution: 11.70%
Starfire contribution: 71.56%

We've talked about percentage damages and it is very rare to see a Starfire contribution percentage over 60%, even after adjusting for treants and starfall. Movement cuts into our ability to reach these numbers as does our good pal, RNG. And it's always possible that I made a mistake somewhere. But much like proofreading your own paper, your eyes tend to tell you what you meant, not what you wrote.

3 comments:

Zuriel said...

Looking at your previous post and comparing it to this one, it appears that a solar rotation might be a go. But you also stated that the last post that you made some assumptions.

I would be interested in knowing what glyphs you chose for theorycrafting the Solar rotation - as it seems to me that SF was only cast to proc eclipse and all other times it was wrath spam... unless I read it wrong.

For you personally, is Solar or Lunar the go?

Maestro said...

I spent one week lately running Lunar. With the exception of Hodir, General V, and Razor, I was very unhappy with the performance. Thorim in particular was crippling. I had to move on almost every eclipse, got yelled at for not resuming my position fast enough (I tried to squeeze in a starfire) and generally felt like I did DoT DPS with the occasional Starfire.

As far as Glyphs, I did not include the Glyph of Starfall. I assumed the more standard IS, MF, Starfire setup. If you follow EJ at all, there is some debate as to whether this is better than the Starfire Glyph for a 2 moonfire solar rotation. I personally use the Glyph of Starfall because I like the mini-Bloodlust it gives me every other precasting period.

Among my largest assumption was perfect spell queuing. This is entirely unrealistic and I will say more about this in part four where I plan to digest all of this information and see if I can draw any meaningful conclusions.

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing this work. I'm looking forward to your further analyses.