Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Omen of DOOM! and DoT Clipping

So the buzz on the street is no longer about Eclipse/WiseEclipse and milking your Eclipse uptime. Now we're talking about DoT clipping in an effort to take advantage of the 2T10 bonus damage granted by OoC (Omen of Doom - OoD). The idea here is that the increased damage of your DoT would be greater than the loss of one tick of an unaffected DoT.

DoT Clipping

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the term, "clipping" refers to refreshing a DoT before it is allowed to expire naturally. DoT clipping is a major cause of lowered DPS and is one of the first things I look at when I'm analyzing another druid's rotation. It has become an old adage now: "Don't clip your DoTs. Never clip your DoTs!"

Omen of DOOM (Invader Zim,anyone?)

Omen of Doom increases that damage of your Nature and Arcance spells by 15%. Since spell damage is calculated upon cast completion, a DoT cast while under the effects of Omen of Doom will carry the increased damage until it expires naturally.

I believe the question at hand is whether the one tick of MF or IS that you would lose is less than or equal to the 15% increase in damage you would gain from clipping. I expect both Starfire and Moonfire Glyphs and Nature's Splendor. Improved Moonfire may seem relative, but it only scales the results, it doesn't change them.

Moonfire

Moonfire ticks 8 times. If your Moonfire does ~16k damage over its duration, and ~350 damage on dealing, it would lose ~1960 damage if you clipped 1 tick for a total of ~14040. The subsequent Moonfire would gain 15% damage so it would deal a total of 18.4k. Thats 32440 damage for the two Moonfires compare to the 32k of the unclipped Moonfire. In terms of DPS, the clipped Moonfire would be greater because it would tick for ~3 seconds less. How much of a DPS increase would depend on how closely to the previous tick you timed your augmented Moonfire.

Insect Swarm(generated by Orin of Twisting Nether)

IS gives 7 ticks total over 14 seconds with Nature's Splendor, for an average of 1600 damage per tick. A 15% increase on that is 1840 damage per tick, yielding a difference of 240 per tick. Without OoD, you would be doing 11200 damage for the duration. With OoD, you would do 12880 damage for the duration. The increase from the normal IS to the augmented IS is 1680, which is just slightly more than a single tick from IS.

TL:DR

Clipping MF and IS by 1 tick in order to cast an augmented MF or IS will lead to a minor damage increase. However, it is my personal advice to avoid clipping DoT's. Why? There are more factors at play here, besides just a minor DPS increase. The first factor is the previous SP of your DoT. If you have any proc based SP increases, you would need to track those and make sure you didn't accidentally overwrite a boosted DoT. There's also the fact that clipping a DoT requires you to not only track your DoT times closely, but track your OoD and the individual ticks of your DoT. In the world of min/maxing this idea might have some justification, especially given that although the damage increase is slight, the DPS increase is greater due to the net DoT time of the two DoTs, clipped and augmented, (2 seconds shorter for IS, 3 for MF) being less than two unclipped DoTs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maestro said...

apologies AutumJeanlouis, but english only please.

Xiera said...

I'm not sure I agree with your logic here.

For one, I'm not sure how you got your numbers for Moonfire. It seems like you're assuming that you'll be clipping only the final tick of the first DoT, but that may very well not be the case. I think the conclusion to reach there is: even in near-optimal circumstances, when you're only clipping the final tick of the DoT, it only yields a minor DPS increase.

The same logic holds true for your IS analysis.

On top of that, and I'll take some credit here because I think the mistake is based on something I said over on TMR, you're not only considering the increased damage of the DoT relative to the missing tick, but also the lost GCDs that could be used for nukes.

Using your Moonfire example, if you clip only the final tick, you gain 440 damage over the original Moonfire. But you could have cast a Wrath in that same timeframe, so you really lost DPS there as well. In fact, if your Wraths hit for 4500 outside of Eclipse, you lost out on 675 damage (440-675=bad) outside of Eclipse and 945 damage if Eclipsed.

I'm sticking with the "continue your normal rotation" approach, since 6 seconds is far too short to effectively modify your rotation.

Maestro said...

@Xiera

I used my druid's number for Moonfire one I got 2T9 (the last time I updated my spreadsheet). I am assuming you'll only be clipping the final tick of your DoT because it was the only situation that offered an increase in raw damage.

As for the conclusion to reach, that is the conclusion I reached. As I said in the TL:DR "Clipping MF and IS by 1 tick in order to cast an augmented MF or IS will lead to a minor damage increase."

I also mentioned the GCD issue in the conclusion, but to point out that from a DPS perspective, the gain of the clipped Moonfire is slightly greater due to the net time of the two Moonfires being less.

I see what you're saying about Wrath, and its a good point, but to be quite honest, I wasn't looking at how clipping a DoT would work into a rotation. I was only looking at the raw gain of clipping a DoT versus not clipping, as I believe the results to be trivial enough to make the blanket statement that it is not worth clipping your DoTs (I'm not sure if you missed where I said that), even without considering what type of cast you might be losing. What you are pointing out is exactly the logic we used to advise people to not clip their DoTs pre 2T10.

All-in-all it sounds like we're in agreement here. Don't change your rotation just because of Omen of Doom.

Xiera said...

Yeah, sounds like we reached the same conclusion then, though I didn't get that from your article.

Sorry, too, if I sounded aggressive, as that was not my intention. I never really care to sugar-coat things when responding (you know that of me), but you know I have a lot of respect for you and your analyses.

And, yeah, I think I skipped the summary part since I read the rest of the article. Guess if I had read that, I would have be in full agreement with you. :)

Maestro said...

No worries. If it weren't for discussion, we'd never advance our ideas. Conflicting (or agreeing) ideas are the essence of progress!

Anonymous said...

Just wondered on the net and found this.

I think you are missing the point here. I agree that clipping is not a very effective alternativ and even if one would choose to do so the frequency we are talking about is very low. A OOC proc when we have 1 tick left of the dots.

However the scenario where your dots have ticked out, should we not then cast MoTW before casting our dots?

So we can glyph the spell to be 50% less mana, and it will 100% sure procc OOC, meaning the DoT cost no mana and will have the 15% more damage done for 6 seconds. If we have aligned both our dots to end at the same time then we are gaining dps?

Maestro said...

@ Anon 1

Actually it's not 100%. Also, given the extension ability of Moonfire, syncing the two DoTs to end would require leaving IS off more frequently. Additionally, the GotW is still a very expensive spell and occupies a global cooldown.

Head over to The Moonkin Repository and check out some of the threads on this, but long story short, we have come to the conclusion that if you are sacrificing a GCD to cast GoTW, it will be a net loss. Casting GotW on the move is beneficial if you don't have anything else to occupy that GCD, such as refreshing DoTs or Starfall or Treants.